Five Tips to Help Re-Balance Your Work and Life
You have a lot on your plate. You’re sacrificing sleep. Maybe you’re even working overtime for no extra pay or perks. You know something has to change before you run out of steam. Here are some tips for re-balancing your work and life.
- Start your day with the end in mind. If you’re like me, you overload your to-do list. Instead, ask yourself what is the one most important thing you want/need to get done. Make sure that task gets done by the end of the day. You will go to bed with a better sense of accomplishment.
- Outsource. What can someone else do for you? This doesn’t mean you have to pay someone to do it. What can your spouse, your children, your friend take off your plate? Think big and small. Maybe it’s doing the dishes or picking your child up from an activity.
- Set a bedtime. If you are going to bed late to get more done, something needs to change. Figure out a reasonable bed time and stick to it most nights. Sleep is what gives us stamina to get more done.
- Do a time audit. Are you spending hours on Facebook? Are you watching more TV than you realize? Spend a week trying to understand how you spend your 24 hours each day and whether you are spending your time in a way that allows you to feel fulfilled.
- Say no. I used to be awful at saying no to requests. I would be driving across town wondering how I got myself into going to an event I really didn’t want to attend. If you are like me, pause before you say yes to something. Take to time think about it and say yes only if you think it’s worthy of your time.